Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Work vs. Play

As I went through my day yesterday I found myself with too much to do and very little time. Around 9 o'clock I realized that I still had homework to do. This work was not necessary, and I would usually just go to sleep. This time I decided to stay up and get most of the work done.

In this time from 9pm-1 am I learned just how everyone else at college feels, exhausted. I am used to going to bed at 10:30 or eleven and I never knew how exhausting it was to stay up doing homework. Now you are probably thinking, does she not do her homework? The answer is I always get the necessary assignments out of the way first, and I believe sleep is very important.

Sleep is crucial to a normal functioning life. But the real question is, why do college students stay up till insane hours of the night and insist on exhausting themselves day after day? My answer to this question is there is not enough time in a day to complete every task given to college students. We are supposed to be extremely social and get all our work done at the same time. This just is not possible. Being social is a huge part of life, but i feel that everyone expects you to spend a huge amount of time devoted to this one subject. There just is not enough time in a day for work and play. I am not saying in any way that if you are social then you are a bad student. I am saying that to balance precious time is difficult and sometimes the ball gets dropped.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First of all, I totally know where you are coming from. I agree that it is often hard to juggle a social life and schoolwork. Maybe you've got a hot date and you need to spend the whole day getting ready for the big night, or you took a four hour nap during the day yet you still want to party that night. Either way, school work gets bumped out of that day's schedule. Also, the opposite can be true. Maybe you are a Premed student that has to study all day and night for that biology exam or you come from a culture that advocates lots of work and hardly any play. Both of those scenarios forget about the social element of college. Now I'm not saying that I have the solution to your problem, but I think the best way to combat this issue is to make a schedule that makes time for both.